Convent of St.Claire
Convent of St.Claire

The Convent, which was built at the turn of the 15th century, was destroyed by the earthquake of 1667 and subsequently rebuilt. The cloister is flanked by four wings with arcades at ground-floor level; the north wing alone still has its arcade at first-floor level.

In the convent courtyard, the well of unknown origin was sculpted in the second half of the 15th century by local stone-cutters. Despite its predominantly Renaissance features, rather similar to the capitals at the Rector's Palace, the decoration includes certain archaic motifs that are evocative of the Romanesque bestiary.

Four direct hits caused serious damage to the roofing of the north, west and south wings and to the stone gutters. The decorative features of the well and the stonework of the facing were badly damaged too.

Some restoration works have been carried out, financed with funds from the state budget and donations:

- PKZ, Poland

- GP Dubrovnik, Croatia

- Sandnes faglige Samorganisasjon, Norway